Monday, October 19, 2009

Costumes

Well, I am currently going back and forth between working on Christmas presents and making costumes for the girls. We don't celebrate Halloween, but we love dress-up and we were invited to a costume party. I decided that the girls would be Wynken, Blynken, and Nod, characters from a poem of the same name by Eugene Field. That way the costumes could double as pajamas, and my efforts would not be all for a one-night event.

So far, I have finished the night caps and one pair of elf slippers for Big K. I got the pattern from a blog called Maya Made. These make great house shoes!!! I did change a few things. First, I did not have an old sweater lying around, but I did have some fleece left over from a blanket I had made previously, so I used that. I had to draft the pattern a bit bigger for Big K, as she has a larger foot than the pattern. Also, I made dots on the bottom of the slippers with hot glue to create traction. When she first tried them on, Big K almost fell on our slippery stone floor, so I had to remedy that. The glue dots are not as aesthetically pleasing as I would have liked, but they were practical and they are on the bottom so anyone who is not a super perfectionist (that would be me!) would not be bothered by them.

I still have to make pajama pants(excuse me, lounge pants) for each girl, finish two more pairs of shoes, and applique long-sleeved shirts to match before next Friday. Looks like I'll be pulling some late-nighters!

No comments:

Post a Comment